Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chaddi's Secret

In case any of you thought this blog would deal with stuff to do with underwear (and its cousins) let me inform you right in the beginning … You won’t find any of that! This is a dedication to the name Chaddi, I have earned after hard work (that was not so hard) of all these years.

My blog is called Chaddi aur Baniyaan for reasons galore. The latest being, one of my closest buddies calls me “Chaddddeeeeeee” (with all the screeching) and she thinks its cute! So this makes us true “Chaddii Buddiis.”

To go back in history, padosis called me Mowgli, when I was young…Reason… Lanky, tall, dark kids jumping around the place in yellow or red chaddis can be easily be mistaken for the Jungle Book character. Hopping into homes of one neighbour to the other in chaddis only stopped after I entered secondary school ie. ClassV (roughly around the age of 11). Mom thought I had to be taught some chaddi manners. The padosi kids, as sharp as their parents, did not fail to identify me as Rudyard Kipling’s hero, not to mention the huge, hedge-like, fluffy, wavy (running outta adjectives) hair that made me exactly like the ‘chaddi pehna hua khila phool’.

Its quite embarrassing when one padosan aunty calls me Mowgli in public, till date.

One more reason, I have been called Chaddi was the resonance of my real surname with chaddi! Chettiar becomes Chaddikaar (When Mom’s Goan folks say it). And to cut it short, it becomes Chaddi again! Wow! Just realised what a chaddi bhari zindagi I lead! Phew!

My Chaddi secret is not secret anymore (just like Victoria’s secret is not Victoria’s anymore!) Just like ‘Agar tum…agar tum… Rupa ki underwear pehnogey…toh… toh… Rupa kya pehnegi ??? (Sadd I know and as old as Rupa herself!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ur Mom’s Goan folks called u ...BILAICHI .... HEHE REMEBER??
hehehehe...

nice again

Seema Singh Menon said...

oyee...chaddi...nice one...i wud hv died of embarrassment if anybody narrated d story of my childhood wen i hopped around wearing chaddis.. bt u too cool gal...rocking....