Tuesday, October 2, 2012

First ever interview


It’s pretty shameful how I haven’t taken the time out to blog for the past several months.
A gentleman called Swaraj Dhanjal got in touch with me a couple of months ago. He had a whiff of me being a film reviewer and had always wanted to feature one on his blog. Guarded as I am as a person, I resisted. Swaraj persisted. And insisted. Finally I agreed to have him send a questionnaire to me.

I said to myself, I’d refuse to answer once he sends the questions. But I realised that was not meant to be. Swaraj very politely reminded me of the questions every now and then, all the time mentioning how important my comfort level was. How could I say no a man that polite!

So recently when I was in between jobs and had so much free time, that I decided it was time to answer some questions that seemed like a cakewalk for me.
I’ll be honest and say I didn’t have much difficulty answering them as it was just like an extension to my personality.

So Swaraj finally got his way and I sent him detailed answers about what is meant to review films on a regular basis. The sweet chap wrote out a blogpost which he posted on September 30.

Here’s what it reads like:


Being a Movie Critic

If you are an Indian, then you’re also expert on two particular topics – Movies and Cricket. We like to talk about these endlessly. Everyone has an opinion. From Sehwag’s bad form to what makes the three Khans the kings of Bollywood, we know it all. Fridays have become such important days for us, as we all look forward to the release of the next Bollywood blockbuster. But a new predicament has arisen thanks to the number of movies releasing each week and the cost of tickets at multiplexes. It has become important to know which movie is worth investing our money in. This is where movie critics come to our rescue! They watch the movie so that you can decide whether to watch it or give it a skip. Discovering Mumbai recently interviewed ‘Blessy Chettiar’ a movie critic at DNA newspaper to understand what it means to be a movie critic!
A true-blue Mumbai girl, Blessy has completed her studies from HR and Sophia College. She was not born in a family that was crazy for movies. Both her parents are Roman Catholics, her father being from South and her mother from Goa. She is quite fluent in Konkani, being brought up in a Goan way, thanks to her mother’s lineage. Blessy, also has a master’s degree in political science and is very interested in the political happenings of the Middle East. When not watching movies she can be found reading about the things that move the Arab world.

No comments: